Will body art score you a job?

Tattoos and piercings are an expression of art and individuality.  Within the past decade, the popularity and amount of visible tattoos has increased.  Everywhere you look there is a person with a tattoo or body piercing.  With the increasing amount of body art, it seems to be more acceptable in society, however what about in the work environment? Are tattoos and piercings appropriate or accepted when it comes time for finding a job?  According to a survey through Surveymonkey.com, body art is not completely accepted in the work place now, but has potential in the future.

When asked if tattoos or body piercings hinder the chances of getting a job, 84 percent answered yes.  Many added that it depends on the kind of job and the amount of body art.  Along the same lines, if tattoos were hidden then it would not hinder the job application process.  Another interesting point that was made was that older employers may care more than younger ones.

One participant added, “From studying psychology you know that even when you don’t want to judge people just for their behaviour and looks, you do. The second thing is, how stereotypes suggest certain opinions about people with body art. Employers know exactly what they want  from employees. If they’re smart they can choose what is more important: look or competency.”

As far as body art having an effect on coworkers inside the workplace, 54 percent said there is no effect.  The other 46 percent said the effect is negative.

More than half of the participants said that covering your tattoos at work depends on the type of profession.  Jobs that are more formal and have daily, personal interaction with customers should require that tattoos and body art is covered.  However, jobs such as in a tattoo parlor, bar, hair salon or in the creative fields, it is okay to have visible body art.

Although 77 percent say that tattoos and piercings are unprofessional in the work place, 81 percent say that in 10 years tattoos and piercings will be more acceptable. Participants explained that since it is the younger generations who have the tattoos, in 10 years they will be the ones interviewing others for jobs. Therefore some of the stereotypes and stigmas will be dissolved.

“I think there already is a difference if we compare from 15 years ago,” said one participant. “Tattoos and piercings can be perceived like fashion accessories and it is more usual to see someone with body art.”

 

--ADS--

Resume Templates

Recommended eBooks