With so many people and companies using applications and social media, specifically Twitter, it is often hard to find who to follow. What is appealing to one person may be different for another. You want a good mix of humor, news and accounts that will benefit you. Well for even the most basic user in the business world, here are a few accounts that will enhance your Twitter feed.
This Twitter account will have you laughing and rolling your eyes. The tweets are about occurances in the office or things that are work related that everyone thinks about or does, but just doesn't admit to it. Whether it is the casual walk around the office to waste a few minutes or limiting yourself to one drink after work because you have to get up early...they are all things we think about but just don't say out loud. This account helps to add a little humor to your work day and lets you know that everyone else is thinking the same.
@PostGradProblem Mentally checking out at the same time every week. #PGP @PostGradProblem Pondering weekend plans on a Tuesday. #PGP
Quotes about life is an account that provides little words of wisdom. Having a rough week? Not sure how to go about solving a problem? This account provides quotes of inspriation to remind you that there will always be tough times, but in the end it will all work out. With such busy lives both inside and outside of the work place, it is important to remember the little things in life.
@Quotes_Life Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. - Haruki Murakami #quote
@Quotes_Life Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it. - Albert Camus
Just out of school? Inbetween jobs? Twit job search provides another source for finding a job. It posts positions and allows followers to post qualifications. This can help job seekers find employment as well as help employers find qualified people.
@TwitJobSearch Exciting opportunity. Digital Media Manager - Scottish Rugby. Edinburgh. @TwitJobSearch Job of the Day: Group HR Operations Director - Skelmersdale or Barnsley, UK at Nutriculture
Forbes is an account that tweets about the newest revelations in business. It also tweets about new tactics, rising leaders and influential people in the business world. This is beneficial for any type of industry because it covers all types of topics and information about different areas of work. It has tips on subjects such as how to succeed as well as articles on new developments.
@Forbes Disk Drives of the Future ... Filled With Helium! (Link) @Forbes How to Succeed, Since Success is Random, And Savor Life With Others (Link)
Another aspect to being well-rounded in the business world is to network and to be social. Any social gathering is a good way to meet new people, exchange ideas or just simply incorporate a little fun into your life. Eventbrite tweets about upcoming events or ways to find out about events in your area.
@eventbrite Curious about the events your Facebook friends are attending? You can stop wondering now : @eventbrite . @SunriseApp sends beautiful daily emails that pull together your web calendar, Facebook data, and Eventbrite events! (Link)
As much fun as receiving is, there is still a rewarding feeling in giving back. Philanthropy tweets about ways to give back and how the community has been helped. It also updates you on popular charities and trending causes.
@Philanthropy Ask an Expert: How to Recruit Volunteers to Raise Money @Philanthropy Hunger & Poverty Relief charity: Project Peanut Butter of Maplewood Mo. #classyawards
Mint allows you to manage your own personal finances. With this account you can learn helpful money saving tips or ideas as to how you can be successful with your money.
@mint Moving Up: 5 Ways to Prepare for Moving to an Expensive City: Whether you’re beginning your p... #MintLife #Minters
@mint How to Successfully Rent Out Your Home: Whether it’s to pay down a mortgage or cover the cost...
Having a basic understanding of Google Analytics is helpful no matter what business you are in. With this account you can get your questions answered no matter how hard or simple, and you can also stay tuned into the upcoming trends that may help you in your job or business.
@googleanalytics Still not sure how to make a mobile-friendly site? It's actually really simple. Find out how at: http://www.howtogomo.com @googleanalyticsUsing GA Social Reports To Measure Your Site Content & Engagement in Google+
You cannot be well-rounded without a little heart and soul! Stay on top of the music with the top hits and news in the music industry. Not only does music improve your mood but you never know when these musical facts can help you out in your day-to-day tasks.
@billboard The Top 20 Music Moments Of 2011 @billboard Foo Fighters Say So Long, Neil Young Stomps at Global Citizen Festival
Of course, after a long day of work or job searching, no one wants to cook. That is why you need to follow Dominos. It tweets about its specials and deals that are going on. If you read the tweets...you cannot resist calling for some food... it all sounds so good! YUM!
@dominos We can read your mind…RT if this is what you're thinking: I. Want. A. Medium. Pepperoni. Pizza.
How to Choose Your College
Choosing a college can seem very daunting for some, especially with the large amount of choices that exist. However, you can make it easier for yourself by following these tips.
Choosing a college can seem very daunting for some, especially with the large amount of choices that exist. It is not to be forgotten however, you can make choosing a college into a systematic process, allowing you to come to a final decision through a much more controlled process. Many high-school graduates also have problems when choosing their college as the amount of different opinions that exist on each college one vary widely from person to person. It is often much easier and much more strongly recommended to build your own opinions through research of various kinds.
Top Tips to Choose Your College
- Visit - Hearing about colleges through other people even when it´s close friends that have gone their is never a good idea. You should always try and build your own opinion. By visiting multiple colleges you will begin to get an idea of what you want and do not want. For example you may start noticing patterns weather you prefer a smaller or a bigger college. Visiting a college also allows you to gain a first hand impression of their facilities and the people that are attending there. This is worth more than many think and visiting more than one college even if you are not sure you want to go there will help massively with college selection in the long run.
- Don't base everything on rankings - Although it is a good idea to look at the rankings in order to get a feeling for how colleges have been compared to some others you know, it is not recommended to apply to one college over another because of it's ranking. Rankings, as done by the New York Times every year, often concentrate on the spending of a college on it's faculty, facilities, and classes or the amount of research undertaken. However, the colleges spending habits do not necessarily impact the quality of the education you will receive and the value of the people that you will meet while being there. This is why visiting colleges is so important, you may wish to go to a certain top ranked college, however after visiting it, you may decide it's not for you after all or that you definitely wish to attend that school. Keep in mind, it is often far more accurate to search for college rankings concerning themselves with your course or major specifically.
- Apply to 3 ranges of colleges - It is a good idea to apply to some "reach" colleges which you believe are just slightly out of your reach when it comes to results. It is possible that you will be pleasantly surprised if you are not completely unrealistic with your choices. Then apply to two or three colleges which you believe that you would really like to go to, choose these carefully as they are the ones you will most likely end up attending. Also choose a safety school, make sure you still like this school as much as your others however it should be a sure thing that you are getting in.
How to Optimize Your Resume for Applicant Screening Software
In order to diminish the numbers of applications some companies will automatically screen applications, make sure you do not get filtered out with these tips!
When bigger companies advertise the opening of a position, it is not uncommon for them to receive a large amount of applications for the respective job. While not all companies do this, some use applicant screening software in order to filter out the applications by a set of rules that are predetermined by the employer. However, this sometimes also causes problems for the applicants. If your resume or cover letter does not contain certain keywords related the to the job for example, it is possible that no one will ever see your resume. It is a good idea to format your resume and cover letter correctly, in order to avoid being eliminated before the hiring manager has considered you.
Use keywords - One of the main things that screening software does is scan the resume for certain keywords. Problems arise when, for example, the job description requires the ability to use a certain program, however, it is not mentioned in your resume even though you are able to. This is why it is important to include skills that are required or maybe even seem obvious as screening programs often filter resumes out that do not contain certain words, in an effort to only select candidates that are fully qualified.
Repetition - If the job seems to focus on a certain skill or function it is a good idea to include it multiple times throughout your resume. Screening programs will often filter out resumes that do not seem relevant enough to the job, this can be combated however, by using the words from the job description especially those which seem to play a large role in the job.
Job titles - Applicant screening software also often scans your employment history and checks its relatedness with the job you are applying for. This is usually the case when the job requires a certain amount of experience. Sometimes however, the software will not recognize a job title and class it as unrelated. It is therefore a good idea, if your recent or current job title does not match with the one you are applying for, to clarify or even put the new employers name for the same job in parentheses. It is not recommended to change the job title entirely as this would be seen as a discrepancy if questioned about it.
- Save in a standard format - It is often debated which format is the best to send out a resume as, when the company does not specify. Using nonstandard software or formats may cause your resume to be discarded by the screening process or the company may have trouble opening it. Due to the number of applicants the company will not alert you of this fact and your resume will also be discarded. Therefore when sending your resume it is suggested to use a PDF or Word (.docx or .doc) file as most companies will view these as standard.
Tips for Submitting an Online Job Application
Online applications can be daunting for some, however by following these tips will help you avoid the most common mistakes when applying for jobs online.
Online job applications are becoming much more common, however for many people the process is fairly new and unfamiliar. The adopting companies often prefer the paperless aspect of online applications as well as the fact that losing documents also becomes a non-issue. The overall application process may be similar to when applications are done in person but there are some crucial aspects that need extra attention when applying online. The idea of applying online for a job may be daunting but using the following tips as a guide may clear up some worries or questions.
Top tips for applying for a job online
- Know what you are applying for - One of the most common mistakes made when applying for a job online is not fully reading the job description or advertisement. Hiring managers that use online mediums to search for candidates often complain about receiving applications from job seekers that are under qualified, or do not have the necessary experience to obtain the job. Make sure you read the whole job description and know what is expected of you, just because an application is online does not change the fact that job requirements are often not flexible.
- Avoid errors in your application at all costs - Although this goes for all job applications it is even more important when you are applying online. Online applications are often stored even if the candidate was not selected, therefore if you provide content that includes errors this may reduce your chance of seeking another job with the same company in the future. Make sure to check all work before you press the submit button, also reading your text backwards often helps detect spelling errors.
- Create a job specific cover or motivation letter (if required) - Make sure to write a good cover letter if one is required. Instead of using a template or writing one that is not specific to the job you are applying to, use the guidelines in the link below to create a unique specific cover letter.
- Check your social media sites - If you are applying to a modern company that you know either uses a lot of social networking sites or even conducts checks of these sites as a part of the hiring process, be sure to check your account for any information you do not wish to share with your employer or anything that could deter them considering you as a candidate.
- Be aware of applicant screening systems - Many employers will not send your details straight to the hiring manager. Often companies use an application screening system that allows for employers to cut down on the number of applications they receive. The system works by scanning for keywords relevant to the position or company, therefore remember to use include all skills and abilities even if they may seem obvious.
- Use the STARR method when asked competency questions - Many firms like to ask competency questions on their online job application form. These are questions which allow the employer to learn more about you on their own terms. The STARR method is a great way to answer these questions, it consists of describing a Situation, Telling the employer what your task or role was, describing the Actions you took, discuss the Result and how you Reflected about it. It is always a good idea to use specific, concrete examples of past situations when applying for a job, when applying online competency questions provide you with the chance to do so.
Resume and CV7 years ago
Letters of recommendation / references
Resume and CV7 years ago
Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) ?
Resume and CV7 years ago
Which Resume Format Should I Choose?
Resume and CV7 years ago
Basic rules for writing your resume
Cover Letter7 years ago
The cover / motivation letter
Blog6 years ago
Resume and CV7 years ago
The Video Resume
University7 years ago
University of Oxford